Sunday, September 23, 2012

Giants clinch the NL West

For some reason, I couldn't believe last night's division clinching-game marked only the 9th time the Giants have won their division since they moved to San Francisco. I felt so spoiled. Nine division titles in 54 years is not a bad percentage when you think about how many Pirates, Royals, Cubs, and Dodgers* fans there are. Those fans would kill to have the division-winning success the Giants have had, especially in the last couple decades.

* I had to take at least one shot at the Dodgers.

Hell, I bet many Giants fans think nine division titles is a huge amount, especially if they became fans before this century. I truly became a fan in 2001. Bonds' chase for one of the most sacred records* in sports grabbed me like I was a skinny-dipper in Cap Cod. I was in attendance for his 71st and 72nd home runs, and there was no going back after that. I might not even be a sports fan if not for Bonds and the Giants' success from 2001-2004.

* Forever asterisked

I've been alive for almost half of the Giants division titles, so my perspective on the Giants' success is a little skewed. Right now, I'm very happy the Giants didn't follow the 2011 script but this season won't be completely satisfying unless it ends with a parade. For much older fans than me, winning this division has to be more meaningful. I've seen how hard it is to win a division, but I've got nothing on the guys and gals who grew up rooting for Mays, McCovey, Perry, Clark, and all the other pre-2000 legends. To enjoy this crown as much as I should, I have to think about the torture these older fans have gone through.

And man, this was a really awesome season. Even more awesome than the 2010 regular season because this team didn't feel the need to give their fans as many heart attacks.

Let's recap. Wilson's gone, season over. Casilla's actually not much worse than Wilson. Nevermind, everyone's closing! Melky's the savior? Melky's the savior! Melky's a traitor. Posey's back! Posey's really back!! WTF Lincecum?? Perfect Cain. Vogelsong is gonna win the Cy Youn... oh, wait. Pence is the bat we needed! Wait, Scutaro is the bat we needed? Pagan sucks. Pay that man! Crawford is worthless. You know who should win the NL Gold Glove at shortstop? Just play Belt everyday dammit! Dodgers need to share their pixie dust. Dodgers need to share their money. LOL Dodgers. So the offense is going to carry the Giants to the playoffs now?

What a season.

Now, that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect anything less than a World Championship. Same goes for Nats and Orioles fans. A World title is the only goal a fan should have no matter how much success their team has had in their history.

But we can worry about that next week. Let's celebrate the division title right now and enjoy watching Emmanuel Burriss attempt to get that seemingly unattainable extra-base hit.


No comments:

Post a Comment